And with devices converging, data sets exploding, and processing routinely off-loaded to the cloud, the performance bar for critical multi-core processors is getting higher. Scalable wafer test solutions are essential – engineered for ultra-fine grid-array pitches, and capable of delivering high signal fidelity with high Current Carrying Capability.
Key Probing Essentials
- Advanced Cu pillar packaging with grid-array pitch below 90µm to keep pace with microprocessors’ increasing I/O density
- High-performance microprocessors wafer testing requires high Current Carrying Capability (CCC). When testing multi-core microprocessors, the actual transient current flowing through a single probe often exceeds the steady-state current average expected from a given IC design. This imbalance can cause the probe to burn, forcing a test cell shut-down to replace the burnt probe(s)
- Mandatory low-power test environment requires stringent power-distribution integrity. Balancing power distribution among multi-sites is critical for optimal test yield
FormFactor’s Products for Computing ICs
Vx-MP for Microprocessors and SoCs
The Vx-MP is the product of choice for leading-edge microprocessors and SoCs. An advanced probe card, it supports high-density flip-chip wafer testing. Valued for providing high signal fidelity and very high current-carrying capability, it’s also known for long product life and low maintenance requirements.
- Cu pillar bump probing, minimum grid-array pitch of 90µm
- Composite MEMS probe structure to enable high CCC >=1A/probe
SmartMatrix™ for DRAM Sort
The SmartMatrix™ probe card provides full-area 300-mm wafer testing for SDRAM, DDR2 and DDR3 testing. The product enables massively high parallelism testing — more than 1000 sites testing in parallel — dramatically reducing the cost of test.
- Superior thermal operation to compress soak time and improve scrub performance
- Excellent contact and electrical performance to optimize yield
- FFI proprietary custom-designed advanced TRE ICs to increase test-native parallelism of testers
TrueScale™ for Computing ICs
TrueScale™ is routinely used for advanced wire bond PC peripheral logic ICs which are highly cost-sensitive devices. The product offers the fine-pitch capability and high parallelism required for cost-effective wafer test.
- Wire bond pad probing, minimum in-line pitch of 50µm
- Supports high multi-site testing, scalable for 300mm full-wafer test capability for maximum multi-site testing
- Low-force and low-scrub probing — <3 g/probe in production with minimum scrub in all directions on a small wire bond pad