This trend has dramatically increased the semiconductor content in every car. Gartner expects the pace to continue, with sales of automotive semiconductors predicted to increase at a CAGR of 7.5% from now through 2017.
Key Probing Essentials for Automotive Semiconductors
- High parallelism testing to increase wafer-test throughput
- With embedded high-density memory, automotive microcontrollers can involve lengthy test times and higher test costs
- High-temperature testing for automotive-grade reliability and quality assurance (when temperatures can reach 150° Celsius and higher)
- Low probe force to avoid probe-related damage to IC structures below the probe pads
- Higher feature integration on SoCs is driving a steady migration from wire bond packaging to advanced technologies like flip-chip and Cu pillars. The new essentials for these applications are specialized probes that can tackle pitches as tight as 135µm, offer superior current-carrying capabilities, and embody other manufacturing technologies to reduce Cres and improve wafer yield.
FormFactor Products for Automotive ICs
CMOS™ Image Sensor Product
This popular product, used to test CMOS image sensors, is valued for enabling very high parallelism, which reduces the cost of test. Also, Formfactor’s proprietary architecture drastically lowers the testing noise within each DUT (device under test) and across the adjacent DUTs for higher yield and faster test time.
- High parallelism testing, X64 and X128 site-capable
- 3D MEMS probe allows for precisely-placed small scrub marks to minimize pad damage
- Supports LVDS frequency roadmap up to 2Gb/s
- Offers lens module and diffuser capability
TrueScale™ for Automotive ICs
Commonly used for advanced wire bond automotive microcontrollers and logic devices, TrueScale™ delivers high-temperature, high-parallelism and cost-effective wafer test in fab environments.
- Wire bond pad probing
- Minimum in-line pitch of 60µm
- 150° Celsius wafer-test temperature capable
- Supports high multi-site testing: typically >=128 sites in parallel; TrueScale Matrix, with full-wafer testing capability can extend to multi-sites (>=256 sites), and offers creative ways to optimize touchdown efficiency
- Low-force probing — <3 g/probe in production with minimum scrub in all directions on a small wire bond pad
Apollo™ Vertical MEMS probe card for Automotive ICs
Already the industry-leading bump/Cu pillar probing technology for mobile phone processor SoCs, Apollo is also a popular probe choice for automotive infotainment processors.
- Flip-chip bump or Cu pillar probing
- Minimum grid-array pitch of 80µm
- Ultra-low force to allow high-temperature probing on solder-capped Cu pillars. <2 g/probe in production, demonstrated minimum solder cap disturbance post-probing to ensure back-end packaging reliability